Usa Picks Up Three New Drama Series

Right place, time for USA’s Besler

USA Network may be the No. 1 basic-cable network for the seventh year running, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t want to up it’s game when it comes to original programming. On Wednesday USA announced that it had given the green light to three new drama pilots, including one from “Burn Notice” creator Matt Nix. “These pilots illustrate our continued commitment to creating the next evolution of powerful original dramas for which USA is well known,” said Chris McCumber, the network’s president, in a news release. “This particular mix of dramas comes from some of the top writers and producers in the industry, each of whom brings a distinct point of view and unique talent for developing high-stakes story lines and compelling characters.” The announcement that Nix has a new show in the works comes hot on the heels of the September series finale of “Burn Notice.”In its seven years on air, Burn Notice was a huge hit for USA. In 2009 it became the most-watched scripted series ever on basic cable in the coveted 18-49 demographic. It was nominated for multiple Emmys over the years. FALL TV 2013: Watch the trailers In September Nix told The Times , “I have another show at USA — a pilot — hopefully it’ll go to series but you never know, and I’m acutely conscious of how lucky I was to have something like ‘Burn Notice’ my first time out. I know firsthand not everything is successful and you really have to savor the things that are.” Nix’s new project is titled “Complications” and it’s about a jaded suburban ER doctor who saves a child’s life during a drive-by shooting, killing one of the assailants in the process. It turns out, however, that the boy’s life has been marked and the doctor makes it his mission to protect him. The second pilot to get the go is “The Novice,” about a recent college grad who, thanks to the sour economy, turns to a life of crime to support himself and his family. It was created by Joe and Tony Gayton ( “Hell on Wheels” ). The final contender is “Rush.” It was created by Jonathan Levine ( “Warm Bodies” ) and is about a Hollywood doctor who makes discreet house calls to the rich and famous while also partying with the best of them. That’s until a former lover reappears and challenges the way he views his life. ALSO:

USA Boxing sucker-punches Tyson

Boxing promoters have perpetually gone after amateur boxers in an attempt to get them to skip the Olympic route. For years, promoters have used everything from Muhammad Ali throwing his gold medal into the Ohio River to the image of Roy Jones Jr. standing next to a ref as he lifted the arm of Park Si-Hun in the Seoul Olympics (considered by many as one of the most corrupt moments in Olympic history) as examples of the unimportance of the Olympics in the arc of one’s career. More recently, promoters simply need to run off the names of top boxers who didn’t need an Olympic medal to succeed as a pro — Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez, Adrien Broner, Timothy Bradley — to prove that participating in the Olympics is as useful as an iPhone 3GS. After Athens 2004, USA Boxing had been able to say to every American who has thought about joining them: “Look at Andre Ward’s career, and we’ll show you how Ward benefited from being in the Olympics.” But when a country goes through an entire Olympics as the United States did at London 2012 and returns without a single medal, the sell gets difficult. Tyson is doing nothing different from any other promoter in the game since boxing became a free enterprise for promotion and hype. Boxing promoters from Butch Lewis to Bob Arum have always “poached” boxers they feel can make them money sooner rather than later. It’s their way of building a relationship with a boxer before anyone else has the chance. That’s kinda always been part of the (shady) business side of boxing. For USA Boxing to start bitching now is laughable. It reeks of an organization that is panicking. It’s so not a good look for them.

Presidents Cup: USA takes big lead into singles play

2013-10-06 muirfield village presidents cup sunday webb 2

Yet perhaps no player currently on the United States mens national team has been the beneficiary of coincidence as much as central defender Matt Besler has. Absolutely, Ill be the first to admit that for you to advance in your career a lot of things have to fall the right way, the 26-year-old, who plays for his hometown Sporting Kansas City , said in his slow, quiet and deliberate brogue. For me, Ive been lucky that the timing has been right on a certain number of things. Two years ago, when Jurgen Klinsmann took over the national team program, Besler was merely a solid Major League Soccer defender, three seasons out of the University of Notre Dame. Last year, he won the leagues Defender of the Year award, yet by this March, his only appearance for the United States had come in the annual low-key post-January camp friendly. Those are generally intended as an open tryout of sorts for domestic players with no national team track record. Appearing there is hardly a noteworthy feat. And yet, heading into the Americans final 2014 World Cup qualifiers on Friday and next Tuesday, Besler is an undisputed and indeed much-appreciated starter and a good bet to remain one for the long term. So how, exactly, did that happen? Besler was in the right place at the right time. Klinsmann has reintroduced a willingness, which had steadily eroded over the last four World Cup cycles, to rely on MLS-based players. From the 1998 through the 2010 editions of the World Cup, USA head coaches had decreased their reliance on home-based players, falling from bringing in an average of 16 MLSers to four, and from starting an average of seven of them per game to 2.55. Klinsmann has typically started four or five MLS players of late. FIRST 100 YEARS Relive USA’s greatest moments through their 100 year history.

Hollywood backlot moments

Oosthuizen and Schwartzel, made with three bogeys and a double bogey down the stretch. Jason Dufner and Zach Johnson managed to finish their 4-and-3 victory against Richard Sterne and Marc Leishman on Saturday night. Ernie Els and Brendon de Jonge handed Tiger Woods and Matt Kuchar their first loss of the week with a 1-up victory. Now it’s down to singles. If there is one consolation for the Internationals, it might be this: Many of these American players were on the wrong end of a huge comeback (from 10-6 down) by the Europeans in the 2012 Ryder Cup. It’s something anyway. This is where the matches stood when play was suspended by darkness Saturday night: Phil Mickelson/Keegan Bradley (USA) all square with Jason Day/Graham DeLaet through 13 holes. Bill Haas/Steve Stricker (USA) 2-up on Adam Scott/Hideki Matsuyama through 10 holes. Ernie Els/Brendon de Jonge (International) 2-up on Woods/Kuchar through nine holes. Louis Oosthuizen/Charl Schwartzel 3-up on Webb Simpson/Brandt Snedeker through 12 holes. Sunday’s singles 9:30 a.m.: Hideki Matsuyama vs. Hunter Mahan 9:41: Jason Day vs. Brandt Snedeker 9:52: Graham DeLaet vs. Jordan Spieth 10:03: Ernie Els vs.